Tuesday, July 14, 2009

wasted

Today I crashed and burned in my Latin class while trying to tell my students a very funny joke using the gerund.

"... so you see," I said (after explaining the gerund), "If anyone asks you, 'Cur Latinam linguam studes?', you can say, 'Facio ad ridendumz' which means of course, 'I do it for the lolz.'"

... silence...

"No? The lolz? Anyone? LOL?"

A student, looking bewildered: "Like... laugh out loud?"

Me, running out of steam, "Yes! And, you know, if you do something for the lols, you... it's what the kids say these days! You know what, never mind."

Student: "So you've added the 'z' onto the gerund to..."

Me: "It's a VERY FUNNY JOKE."


Jeez. I should take it on the road, I'm wasted on these guys.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I WOULD HAVE LAUGHED. I am sorry your students aren't geeky enough *g*.

via_ostiense said...

Si adfuissem, risissemz!

I had to look up subjunctive conditionals to write that. {headdesk}

Emily Butler said...

I laughed, even when it was first your status update, without explanation. So, yes, you're wasted. Or, I'm a nerd. Take your pick.

Also, I feel like a stalker: Have I commented on every post you've made here? No, I think only two out of three, but still....

Una McCormack said...

Kids today, honestly...